Ukrainian Dill and Garlic Pickles
* 5 pounds small pickling cucumbers
* 4 quarts water
* 3/4 cup kosher salt
* 1 bunch fresh dill stalks
* 2 bulbs garlic, cloves separated and peeled
* 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
* 1 small fresh red chile pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
1. Soak cucumbers in cold water overnight.
2. Sterilize a 1 gallon glass or ceramic container. Combine the water and salt in a large pot and bring to
a boil. Prepare the cucumbers by trimming the ends and making a slit in the sides with a small sharp knife.
3. In the bottom of the sterile container, place several stalks of dill, half of the garlic cloves, about
10 peppercorns and a slice or two of red chile pepper. Arrange half of the cucumbers over the seasonings and
then repeat the layers. When the brine comes to a boil, pour over the cucumbers to cover. Place a small plate
on top of the pickles to keep them submerged. Store in a cool place.
4. Pickles will be ready in 4 to 10 days, depending on how warm it is. Once they have fermented to your liking, refrigerate until using.
The dill pickle recipe Ukrainian is ready.....